We all know the feeling when a disturbing event is dominating our screens and feeds. A natural disaster. An act of violence. Whether it’s close to home or far away, it’s a natural tendency to fall into a panic, overwhelmed and glued to the media coverage. The following chart is to help move us through these paralyzing moments, by guiding us towards the best possible action to take.
**It’s crucial to remember that these steps were created for those with the capacity to process + act on unfolding traumatic events. That is not all of us, at all times. Sit out when you need to. Rejoin when you can.**
How to use:
- Set aside the media coverage for a moment.
- Answer the questions and follow your way down the chart to identify the appropriate action to take.
- As always, sometimes the best course of action is simply take care of yourself.
- Helps recenter in the face of overwhelm
- Helps to reduce time spent doom-scolling or panic monitoring
- Helps translate information into clear concrete action